Wednesday, July 8, 2009

early morning rain


I sit by the window with Rusty Brown as it pours outside. I should be thinking about what to do with the day. About big things. Like advertising. And great ideas. And clients who need my help. Instead, I wander deep inside the vaults of memory. To a decrepit, little lending library spread helplessly across a hot pavement in Calcutta, twenty odd years ago. Unearthing brittle first copies of Mad, Iznogoud, Mandrake the Magician and Andy Capp and the lonesome, thrilling afternoons that followed.

Perhaps, growing up isn't really such a hot idea after all.

Rusty Brown and other characters by Chris Ware. Published by Drawn and Quarterly.
Find more from the same artist here.

1 comment:

Gauri Gharpure said...

the illustration somehow reminded me of the little match girl..